Monday, February 22, 2010

Bizniz trip

I spent a few days in Chicago last week for a regional American Philosophical Association meeting. I spent most of the time at the book exhibit chatting with the few friendly old dudes and dudettes (ahem; philosophers) who decided to attend, but when I was off-duty, I tried to explore as much as possible.

This was my first time in Ferris Bueller-Land, and I have to say that I loved it. The city is big, wide and inviting. It's surprisingly quiet and good-smelling (sorry, NYC). The people are very nice - and good at giving lost tourists directions (another NYC shortcoming). Restaurants offer good seafood and sushi. Only problem: their sales tax is outrageous (10.25%), which was tough with an Urban Outfitters and H&M right down the street! I spent every penny with good intentions (most of it company money - no, not on clothes). Here are the few pictures I took while galavanting:


Sweet lion statue in front of the Art Institute of Chicago (http://www.artic.edu/aic/). I went to the museum on my last day, and I have to say I wasn't very impressed. It was filled to the brim with visitors (it being "Free February" and all), and the exhibits were noticeably smaller than, you know, the Met. I did LOVE their photography exhibit, though it was right next to the children's museum, and therefore noisy and germy.


I stayed at The Palmer House on Monroe street, which is very close to Millennium Park (http://www.millenniumpark.org/): a gorgeous wide open park that's very near Lake Michigan, which I saw from a safe distance. I visited it early in the morning before I had to be at our exhibit booth.

The city was most beautiful at night. I felt pretty safe walking around alone at the touristy spots, which I don't even like to do in NY. I eventually ran into the Chicago river (or at least it might have been the Chicago river).








I forgot all about my most favorite musical ever until I saw this marquis for the Chicago Theater.

All. That. Jazz.

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad I'm not the only one who thinks NY smells! Your trip sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should have waited a few weeks! I was there for St. Patricks Day last year and they turned the river green! Intentionally!

    ReplyDelete