Sunday, October 3, 2010

What the awesome!? Fried Oreos

Today by chance we found ourselves in lovely Hoboken, land of happy commuters and good things to eat. On Washington Street people gathered for the Arts and Music Festival, where local art and food vendors of all types, sights and smells lined the sidewalks. There were at least ten booths filled with colorful doggie portraits(good thing I had no cash on me). Dan suddenly spotted the zeppoles and fried Oreo stand, and with childlike wonder, pointed at it and suggested we go try some. We never had before, despite all the ruckus about them down at Seaside and other boardwalks. Dan shelled out a few bucks for three, freshly pulled from the vat of hot oil and shaken in a paper bag with powdered sugar. It was drumroll time: Dan reached in and took a squishy bite.

It was love at first taste.

Of course I followed in suit, and gleefully filled my mouth with the soft and gooey thing. I couldn't believe the immediate happiness it brought me, and I looked down at the half-eaten Oreo-zeppole with pure incredulity. Did that just really happen? It had a plush and inviting texture and a mixture of childhood flavors that all mesh into a blissfull sweetness words cannot explain! In the frying process the cookie became moist and buttery as if it'd been dipped in warm milk. I was hooked, and shook my head in--I don't know--guilt that I've fallen in love with yet another baked good. Not just a baked good, but a FRIED baked good.

Anyway, now Mr. Dan is asking how I can make them at home. The Kitchn has an easy recipe for this, though we'll need a deep fryer. And I just don't know about that...

No comments:

Post a Comment