Sunday, April 25, 2010

Risks may include pregnancy and death.

I saw the most horrific birth control ad on TV this morning for Mirena, an IUD (Intrauterine device) form of birth control by Bayer. Having decided in sex ed. that instering a tiny, plastic anchor into my uterus would not be my choice of preggo-prevention, I've always had the willies at the thought of an IUD floating around in no-man's land.

Halfway through the commercial, the announcer warns that Mirena can "come out" or slip through the uteran wall and cause "other problems". She then rattles off dangerous side effects like infertility caused by IUD misbehavior. See the commercial here, on their website. No thanks, friends. I like my uterus and its life-giving properties.

Although all birth control comes with side effects, this ad persuades me to stay far, far away from IUDs of any kind. Thanks for the affirmation, Mirena. You've scared my pants off, and I'm on the pill so I'm all set.

No comments:

Post a Comment