Monday, May 31, 2010

M.I.A.'s "Boyz": see Rihanna's "Rude Boy"

I came upon a great article yesterday from the NY Times Magazine about the life, work, and upcoming album from Maya Arulpragasam, also known as M.I.A., one of my favorite artists since (yes, I'll admit it) her 2009 hit, "Paper Planes." I planned to dedicate this post to her provocative, bad-ass booty-shaking effects on my life, but as I was searching through a video to post, I found something interesting.

Check out this video for the single, "Boyz", from Kala, which released in 2007.



Now here's the recently released video for Rihanna's "Rude Boy", one of my personal favorites from her 2009 album, Rated R. I like to think of it as her rendition of the above.



Hmm. Let me get my calculator. Graffiti art + Jamacain color scheme + animation + dancing + BOYS = Rihanna kind of ripped off M.I.A. However, Rihanna does have a stuffed lion. With a crown.

No comments:

Post a Comment